- They are outdated.
- They are not comprehensive enough.
- They are not interesting enough.
- Based upon the changes that Texas is making to history textbooks, they are not accurate enough.
My dream for using the Listenings is that my auditory-learning students will be able to download them to their MP3 players and then listen to them as they walk to school or workout. The only problem that I have had is that not all of my students knew how to download sound files to their players. You don’t necessarily know how to do that if you are a Digital Native. =-) It may require showing them or creating a screencast to instruct them on how to download these files.
Doings: These are the activities that your students will do. I have my students complete surveys, do online searches, create projects, or whatever. This is the section that includes the things that don’t fit the other sections.
Check Out These Successful RWLDs
- Educational Technology and Design
- Using Digital and Social Media in Education
- Selecting and Integrating Instructional Technology
- Writing a Graduate Paper/Portfolio
- Notice that I create my RWLDs using a blog. This is the easiest way to get things on the web. Another advantage is that a blog will provide an easy RSS feed for students to capture their assignments on their PLN. Finally, it is even possible to feed the RWLD blog into their YouTube accounts – that means no excuses!!!!
- Include an image on each of the postings. Be careful about copyright – you are the model. You may find what you need using the Creative Commons selections at Flickr.com
- These resources don’t need to be ONLY teacher-found resources. I have opened up the RWLD to the students so that when they were taking over the class for a day, they could add their own RWLD resources.
- Another advantage to putting your RWLD in a blog is that you can reuse your postings. You just need to reset your postings to appear on scheduled dates at the beginning of the semester.
We have been using RWLDs for over 10 years now and they have been quite successful. What do you think? Will they be useful to you?
Leave a comment and keep the discussion going.